Everyone that comes to have a kinesiology session will get tested for heavy metals, usually within the first few sessions.
Why is this so important though? Where do heavy metals even come from? What do I need to do to eliminate them efficiently?
I will answer all of that here for you.
Heavy metals can be a hidden antagoniser, even at low levels of exposure it can have a significant impact on the health of our organs. The toxicity of arsenic, cadmium, chromium, lead, and mercury pose the greatest risk to public health (1). There are many potential symptoms of heavy metal toxicity, such as:
- Anxiety and panic attacks
- Mood disorders
- Concentration and memory loss
- Prolong and increase the severity of bacterial and viral conditions
- Tingling or numbness
- Heart palpitations
- Tinnitus (ringing in the ears)
- Aches and pains
The truth is, we can't get away from them in this day and age. They are described as being heavy because once they are in the body, they are hard to get out and stick around, quite often accumulating within tissues within the brain, liver, heart, kidneys, immune system and the reproductive system.
Mothers can also pass heavy metals down to their unborn child because heavy metals, such as mercury, are able to cross the placenta, blood-brain and blood-cerebrospinal fluid barriers. Over time there is an accumulation of these toxic heavy metals, which can make us more vulnerable and weaker with every generation.
Here are some of the common ways we can get exposure to heavy metals:
- Traffic fumes, air pollution, cigarette smoke, radiation.
- Food, such as fish, seafood, and processed foods, canned foods, soda drinks and baby formulas (2)
- Amalgam dental fillings
- Tap water has concentrations of arsenic, cadmium, nickel, mercury, chromium, zinc, and lead (3). (This is why it is so important to have a good water filter system!)
- Cosmetics, such as lip products, whitening toothpaste, eyeliner, nail colour, foundations, sunscreens, eye shadows, blush, concealer, moisturisers, eye drops, antiperspirants and talcum powder (4)
- Children's toys
- Getting tattoos
- Aluminium foil, metal pots, pans, stainless steel cutlery
How to eliminate heavy metals from the body efficiently?
The heavy metal detox protocol is a method created by Anthony Williams, Medical Medium.
In kinesiology sessions, I have found the protocol to be extremely effective, quite often eliminating the heavy metal imbalance within one month of daily consumption.
There are 5 foods that synergistically work together to pull out these toxins deep within our body:
- Spirulina: A superfood algae with potential to pull out heavy metals from your brain, central nervous system, urinary system (5) and liver.
Hawaiian spirulina is often considered a superior spirulina. A good one can be found on Naturitas.es
It is not recommended to get one shipped from China.
- Barley grass juice powder: A superfood grass with the ability to remove heavy metals (6) from the spleen, intestinal tract, pancreas, thyroid, and reproductive system.
It is important to make sure its the juice of the barley grass. A good one can be found on Naturitas.es
- Cilantro/coriander (7): This herb grabs onto old heavy metals from hard-to-reach places.
It is best to buy organic or grow your own if possible!
- Wild blueberries (8): This anti-oxidant rich berry removes heavy metals from the brain. It's protective abilities heal oxidation caused by heavy metals and is particularly useful in the case of Alzheimer's and dementia.
You can buy this in the freezer section of most supermarkets. The large ones are cultivated and will not hold the same nutritional value. If you cut the cultivated ones in half, they will be whitish inside.
When cutting a wild blueberry in half, it will be blue all the way through.
If you are in the Javea area, you will find a large 1kg packet of wild blueberries in the freezer section of Puga cash and carry supermarket, near Mercadona between the port and arenal.
As of September 2022, a 1 kilo bag should cost about 8 euros.
- Atlantic dulse: This seaweed is like a magnet and binds itself to lead, aluminium, copper, cadmium, and nickel. It draws out heavy metals from the digestive tract and ensures all heavy metals are eliminated from the body (9).
A large bag can be bought from Naturitas.es
Best taken every morning for 1 month minimum, this smoothie is so tasty that even children will love it!
The recipe is based on one person, therefore double the ingredients as needed.
Incorporate at a minimum of 3 ingredients.
Place the wild blueberries into a bowl and let them thaw during the night.
In the morning, drain the liquid and add the blueberries to the blender with the other ingredients.
You can add additional ingredients such as, bananas, apples, honey, shredded coconut or dates to sweeten.
Add 1 cup or more of either water, vegetable milk, or orange juice.
Blend thoroughly, pour into a tall glass and enjoy!
It is reccomended to drink daily for at least 1 month at a minimum.
- Tchounwou PB, Yedjou CG, Patlolla AK, Sutton DJ. Heavy metal toxicity and the environment. Exp Suppl. 2012;101:133-64. doi: 10.1007/978-3-7643-8340-4_6. PMID: 22945569; PMCID: PMC4144270. [online] Available at: https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/22945569/
- European Commission. Mercury in food [Online] Available at: https://ec.europa.eu/food/safety/chemical-safety/contaminants/catalogue/mercury_en
- Rehman K, Fatima F, Waheed I, Akash MSH. Prevalence of exposure of heavy metals and their impact on health consequences. J Cell Biochem. 2018 Jan;119(1):157-184. doi: 10.1002/jcb.26234. Epub 2017 Aug 2. PMID: 28643849. [online] Available at: https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/28643849/
- Campaign For Safe Cosmetics. Lead And Other Heavy metals. [Online] Available at: https://www.safecosmetics.org/get-the-facts/chemicals-of-concern/lead-and-other-heavy-metals/
- Hideki Fukino, Yukari Takagi, Yasuhiro Yamane. Effect of Spirulina (S. platensis) on the Renal Toxicity Induced by Inorganic Mercury and Cisplatin (Regular Presentations) (Proceedings of the 15 th Symposium on Environmental Pollutants and Toxicology). 1990. [ Online] Available at:
- Eldamaty HSE, Elbasiouny H, Elmoslemany AM, Abd El-Maoula LM, El-Desoky OI, Rehan M, Abd El Moneim D, Zedan A. Protective Effect of Wheat and Barley Grass Against the Acute Toxicological Effects of the Concurrent Administration of Excessive Heavy Metals in Drinking Water on the Rats Liver and Brain. Applied Sciences. 2021; 11(11):5059.
- Masoumeh Bahrekazemi, Mahboubeh Eslami & Jaber Nikbakhsh (2020) The effect of dietary coriander supplementation on growth performance, biochemical responses, carcass proximate composition, and heavy metal accumulation in beluga, Huso huso, Journal of Applied Aquaculture, DOI: 10.1080/10454438.2020.1782798
- Pin Gong, Fu-xin Chen, Lan Wang, Jing Wang, Sai Jin, Yang-min Ma. Protective effects of blueberries (Vaccinium corymbosum L.) extract against cadmium-induced hepatotoxicity in mice. Environmental Toxicology and Pharmacology, Volume 37, Issue 3, 2014, Pages 1015-1027, ISSN 1382-6689. [Online] Available at: https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S1382668914000726
- Medical Medium. Heavy Metal Detox Smoothie. [Online] Available at: